Customers asked, Mahr responded: Mahr Engineered Solutions (MES) developed a cost-effective solution for automating recurring measurements. A collaborating robot loads measuring stations in the measuring room or close to production without an operator, which significantly increases the degree of utilization of the measuring station and drastically reduces the overall costs.
Mahr is showing the new development for the first time at Control 2023 on a MarSurf contour and roughness measuring station . This is particularly suitable for customers who want to check large numbers of recurring workpieces as continuously and promptly as possible.
Robot removes workpieces automatically
The system consists of a workpiece store with pull-out magazines that contain the parts to be measured. The MarSurf measuring station is on the workpiece storage; A robot arm is attached to the side in such a way that it can easily access the magazines. The robot pulls one out and removes a component using the gripper, which was custom-made using 3D printing. He then places it on the workpiece holder of the MarSurf device and the measurement starts automatically. After a successful measurement, the robot puts the part back into the workpiece storage.
Solution with numerous benefits
Customers benefit from many advantages with this system:
- It only requires as much space as a standard measuring station.
- No staff is tied to the measuring station.
- An operator is only required to reload the magazines.
- The service life of the measuring device increases, even three-shift operation is possible.
- Depending on the application, it is even possible to load and measure at the same time.
- The robot can be reprogrammed very easily and quickly for other workpieces, which means it can be used flexibly.
- Overall, throughput increases while costs decrease.
"We are currently planning the robot for MarSurf measuring stations," says Axel Binder, Director Global Engineered Solutions . "But all other measuring stations, such as form measurement with our MarForm MMQ family, are also conceivable in the future." The system can be used for MarSurf measuring stations of all configurations - not just for new ones. Because even Mahr devices that have been in use for a long time can be retrofitted with it. "All in all, we offer an inexpensive and standardized solution for pallet measurement," summarizes Binder.